1. Policy statement
Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to a policy of treating all its employees and job applicants equally. It is the policy of Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd to take all reasonable steps to employ and promote employees on the basis of their abilities and qualifications without regard to race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, national origin, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, age, marital/civil partnership status pregnancy, maternity/paternity and/or disability.
Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd will appoint, train, develop and promote on the basis of merit and ability alone. Employees have a duty to co-operate with the Company to ensure that this policy is effective to ensure equal opportunities and to prevent discrimination.
Action under the Company’s disciplinary procedure will be taken against any employee who is found to have committed an act of improper or unlawful discrimination. Serious breaches of the Equal Opportunities Policy will be treated as potential gross misconduct and could render the employee liable to summary dismissal.
• Employees will also bear in mind that they can be held personally liable as well as, or instead of, Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd for any act of unlawful discrimination.
• Employees must not bully, harass or intimidate other employees on the grounds of race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, national origin, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. Such behaviour will be treated as gross misconduct under the Company’s disciplinary procedure.
• Employees will draw to the attention of their line manager any suspected discriminatory acts or practices.
• Employees must not victimise or retaliate against an employee who has made allegations or complaints of discrimination or who has provided information about such discrimination. Such behaviour will be treated as potential gross misconduct under the Company’s disciplinary procedure. Employees will support colleagues who suffer such treatment or making a complaint.
2. Sources of recruitment
• The recruitment process will be conducted in such a way as to result in the selection of the most suitable person for the job in terms of experience, abilities and qualifications. The Company is committed to applying its Equal Opportunities Policy at all stages of recruitment and selection.
• Where a recruitment agency or consultant is to be used in the recruitment process, there will be checks conducted at Company level to ensure that they have Equal rights policies and procedures in place that meets statutory requirements. Like any other supplier or contractor the recruitment agencies and consultants shall be subject to scrutiny in accordance to our Approved Suppliers qualification process.
• Recruitment publicity must positively encourage applications from all suitably qualified and experienced people. When advertising job vacancies, in order to attract applications from all sections of the community, Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd will, as far as reasonably practicable:
o Ensure advertisements are not confined to those areas or publications which would exclude or disproportionately reduce the numbers of applicants of a particular gender, sexual orientation, religion or racial group;
o Avoid prescribing any unnecessary requirements which would exclude a higher proportion of a particular gender, sexual orientation, religion or racial group or which would exclude job applicants with disabilities;
o Avoid prescribing any requirements as to marital status;
o Where vacancies may be filled by promotion or transfer, they will be published to all eligible employees in such a way that they do not restrict applications from employees of any particular gender, sexual orientation, religion or racial group or from employees with a disability;
o Ensure that the setting of age limits as a criterion of any specific job is justifiable.
4. Selection methods
• The selection process will be carried out consistently for all jobs at all levels. Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd will ensure that this Equal Opportunities Policy is available to all staff and in particular is given to all staff with responsibility for recruitment, selection and promotion. The selection of new staff will be based on the job requirements and the individual’s suitability and ability to do, or to train for, the job in question. Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd will make reasonable adjustments to their work arrangements and/or premises in order to ensure that persons with disabilities are not placed at a substantial disadvantage in comparison with persons who are able bodied.
5. Selection tests
• Selection tests which are used will be limited to questions relating to the particular job and/or career requirements. The tests will measure the individual’s actual or inherent ability to do or to train for the work or career. Thus, questions or exercises on matters which may be unfamiliar to racial minority applicants or applicants of a particular sex will not be included in the tests if they are unrelated to the requirements of the particular job. The tests which are used will be reviewed from time to time in order to ensure that they remain relevant and free from any unjustifiable bias, either in content or in scoring mechanism.
6. Applications and interviewing
• All applications will be processed in the same way. The staff responsible for short-listing, interviewing and selecting candidates will be clearly informed of the selection criteria and of the need for their consistent application. Wherever possible, all applicants will be interviewed by at least two people. All questions that are put to the applicants will relate to the requirements of the job. If it is necessary to assess whether personal circumstances will affect the performance of the job (for example, if the job involves unsociable hours or extensive travel), this will be discussed objectively, without detailed questions based on assumptions about race, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, children and domestic obligations.
7. Training, transfer and promotion
• The Company will take such measures as may be necessary to ensure the proper training, supervision and instruction for all line managers in order to;
o Familiarise them with the Company’s policy on equal opportunities;
o Help them identify discriminatory acts or practices;
o Ensure that they promote equal opportunity within the departments for which they are responsible;
o All persons responsible for selecting new employees, employees for training, or for transfer to other jobs, will be instructed not to discriminate on gender, racial or religious grounds and on the grounds of the employee’s disability, age, marital status or sexual orientation. Where a promotional system is in operation, the assessment criteria will be examined to ensure that they are not discriminatory. The promotional system will be checked from time to time in order to assess how it is working in practice. When a group of workers predominantly of one race, religion, sex or sexual orientation or workers with disabilities appears to be excluded from access to promotion, transfer and training and to other benefits, the promotional system will be reviewed to ensure there is no unlawful discrimination.
8. Terms of employment, benefits, facilities and services
• All terms of employment, benefits, facilities and service will be reviewed from time to time, in order to ensure that there is no unlawful discrimination on the grounds of race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, national origin, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability.
9. Equal pay
• Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd is committed to equal pay in employment. It believes its male and female employees will receive equal pay for like work, work rated as equivalent or work of equal value. In order to achieve this, Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd will endeavour to maintain a pay system that is transparent, free from bias and based on objective criteria.
10. Grievances and complaints
• All allegations of discrimination will be dealt with seriously, confidentially and speedily. Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd will not ignore or treat lightly grievances or complaints about discrimination from members of a particular sex, sexual orientation, religion or racial group or from disabled employees. Such complaints will be raised promptly under the terms of the Company’s grievance procedure.
11. Monitoring equal opportunity
• Blackwood Plant Hire Ltd will regularly monitor the effects of selection decisions and personnel practices and procedures in order to assess whether equal opportunity is being achieved. This will also involve considering any possible indirectly discriminatory effects of its working practices.
Signed: Paul McCormack
Dated: 05 April 2020
Authorised By: R McMillan